Monday, September 10, 2007

The perfect kit?

I'll admit, I've been reading the smack blogs. I know they are crappy but I sort of view them as an internet soap opera. So far, I haven't seen anything terrible about anyone in the digi-community, just general gripes and complaints.

A recent thread was talking about what makes for a great kit and what makes a bad kit. Several people talked about kit naming really helping to "make" a kit. Now that I'm at least halfway through my ACDsee tagging fun, I agree with them 100%!!

First of all, if you want credit, put your freaking name (or first initial and last name or first name and last initial or internet name or something) in the file name! I went through awhile back and deleted a bunch of stuff that didn't have credits in the file name. I didn't delete it all because there are several things I like and use, I just don't know who or where I got them from.

Second, put your kit name in the file name. I have a butt load of freebies (that is all I scrap with and I'm not hurting for stuff). Just because I have a designer name, doesn't mean it all works together. If I have a kit name, I can say "you know, I really like this paper and these clips or those corners go with so I'll use those" Typically, I mix and match designers and elements but I'm finding more and more that my pages look better and are easier to do and credit if I use one kit or one designer for each page. I wish that more designers would make this easier for people.

Also, something they talked about in the other blog was 10k downloads. When I dl a file, I don't need a personal thank you, a store thank you, a TOU, an anti-theft note, etc. And I don't need that for each file that I dl for a kit. Seriously, if you have 3 folders of stuff in your dl, you don't need to put a preview of the whole kit in all the files. One preview would be fine.

The other thing is being clear in naming your TOU. Don't call it TOU or terms or anything generic like that. Name it something like designer name-kit name-tou to help keep the TOUs with the right designer and the right kit. Especially, if the TOU has something unique in it, like a commercial license or something other than the basic "this is mine, I made it, don't steal it, credit it, not for commercial use, I like to see the things you make so email me your layouts"

I'm by no means an expert in digi-scrapping or a voice of any kind in the industry. But hopefully, an aspiring designer or two will read this and help us out by naming things usably :)

1 comment:

jburkhart said...

Lol.....I hear you! I think I correctly name all my files and such with my name on it...heheheheheh! It definitely helps to credit and to know what is who's and so forth!!!!

Hugs!
Michaele